Yet again, I’ve been falling behind with my blog as I’ve been focusing on getting the work done as opposed to writing about it. With that being said, I’m going to be writing two blog posts that bring you up to speed on what has went on since the MVP which I did post about. As you may or may not have been aware, after the BAFTA deadline, we figured that working on Wladmir and his story was becoming rather mundane and we wanted something new. Part of the reason I was demotivated to continue with Wladmir was the fact that his mode wasn’t playing to our strengths. We didn’t have a dedicated animator yet we were trying to get cutscenes of sorts in the game. It just didn’t make sense.
We wanted something fresh and more freeing. We decided on having a seperate game mode that doesn’t differ enough from the first mode to set us back but differs enough that it feels fresh and like a different experience. Our months of hard work on Wladmir are not wasted either as he will be playable in his mode in the final product too; this will give people a taste of what the game was going to purely be and will also show them how the product evolved.
What is the new mode?
The new mode centers around a new protagonist called Kai. It will focus on our strengths much more than the first did by cutting masses of dialogue and removing the need for cutscenes. Instead, quests will be much more general and the story will be much more loose. For example, the aim will literally be to help people around the map with their various requests in order to gain weapons to defeat the bosses that lurk around the map. Once you’ve done that, you can consider your playthrough a success.
The progession in this game writes itself. There are two bosses: a golem and a venus fly trap (The Stench). In order to defeat one, you’ll need to help people – earning enough gold from completing quests to purchase a weapon from the store capable of defeating The Stench. The weapon needed to defeat the golem will be accesible once you defeat the stench as a special quest with an older Wladmir will open. Should you complete this, he will give you his sword from the first mode and you will be able to defeat the golem. I like this structure as it is logical but also not overcomplicated.
|The team has been hard at work when it comes to producing work for this game mode as Nath and myself have built the gamemodes from the ground up. He has populated the environment with assets whilst I’ve brought it to life with mechanics.
As you can see, we have planned out what should be done for the new game mode and we are doing pretty well in terms of being on track. This can be seen much better on the Hack N Plan where we have separated it into larger chunks that provide a much more visual representation of what is left.
In the previous game mode, we made use of a character controller to get Wladmir moving around the scene but I wanted a change. Wladmir didn’t feel like he had any true weight behind him. You would press a button and he’d be straight into a walk without any build up. This time around, I used a rigidbody component to acheive the movement and I must say it feels 10 times better.
When it comes to the camera movement, I tried multiple different ways to try and get the camera to orbit the player in a way that I liked to little avail. One of the main things you read about programming is to avoid trying to reinvent the wheel so I ultimately deciuded on using Cinemachine and its free look component and I must say I am happy with the results.
Furthermore on the movement, I wanted a decent jump in this mode as we ended up cutting jumping out of the other mode as it wasnt necessary and we just couldn’t get it right. This time around, we not only have a jump but also a double jump. I am more than happy with how this ultimately turned out. A combination of finetuning animation timings, adding a falling animation and tying it all together via code made this double jump feel great to me.
The last thing I want to talk about is the chests/ mimics. The mimic thus far is simple as I literally just play an animation if you press E in its trigger box. I plan on addding poisonous gas that exits the mimic’s mouth when this happens. Additionally, the chest system was interesting to create as there are 3 types of gem in the chest with varying values. Of course, I had to add chances to each that weren’t just an equal 1 in 3 chance of each. With that being said, I settled on a 65% of the gem worth 5, a 25% chance of a gem worth 10 and a 10% chance of a gem worth 20. You can see this in action in the video above.
In the meantime, my team has been working hard too with Nath creating enemies such as the stench and the golem.
Bailey, on the other hand , has been redoing the UI to have a more medieval theme.
In conclusion, progress is coming along nicely and I cannot wait to see where the game is at in the End of Year Show. There haven’t been any issues to report.