Our MVP has evolved a lot since the birth of our project. As is life, things didn’t work out how we had planned, things had to be cut and changes had to be made. This blog post will take a look at these details – discussing where we are now compared to where we wanted to be. In short, we had a set vision in mind when it came to our MVP:
– Beginning can lead two ways with one resulting in a druid quest and the other resulting in a witch quest.
– 70% main quests, 30% side quests
– Check list/completion percentage on inventory menu
– Learn More Spells As The Game Progresses
– Quests Are Rated Out Of 3 Stars
– Characters With Available Quests Have A Pulsing Exclamation Mark
– Once within a certain radius of the character the option to open the quest will appear. Once open the character will have a pop up menu with the quest details, rewards and accept/decline.
We also wanted the following branching quest:
1. Investigate Camp (Learn Movement)
2. Find Light Source (Carry Lamp Around When Dark)
1. Leads To Cottage With Nice Old Man, Asks For You To Deliver Letter To Druid In Town
2. Sketchy Man In Forest By Campfire Asks For You To Deliver Stolen Item To Witch In Town.
Learn Light Spell:
The things I have marked in bold are what we actually ended up having in the MVP. My point being that plans change massively. Our MVP deviates from our original plan massively and that is part of the beauty of it. The games industry is chaotic and our plans reflect that.
Although completely different to our plan, the MVP has turned our well. I’m happy with what we have created and I’m proud of it. We were extremely ambitious at first and that’s fine but we quickly realized that and simplified plans to adjust to something more reasonable.
We have already hit the MVP deadline. All that needs to be done to the MVP – in my eyes- is some bugfixes which I shall work on before the 5th April.
Ideally, in the MVP, we will have two separate modes: the one we submitted to BAFTA and a WIP scene where we are experimenting with taking the game in a new direction with a new character. The new scene will be there just to show what we are working on at the moment.
In order to help us reach our MVP, I will complete the few bug fixes that need to be done in order to get the scene ready for the 5th April MVP submission.
Until next time,